This article is from the source 'bbc' and was first published or seen on . It last changed over 40 days ago and won't be checked again for changes.

You can find the current article at its original source at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19192629#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

The article has changed 8 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.

Version 3 Version 4
'Fresh clashes' in Egypt's Sinai region Sinai: Egypt sends reinforcements as offensive builds
(40 minutes later)
Fresh fighting has broken out between gunmen and police in Egypt's Sinai peninsula, according to state TV. Egypt has deployed extra troops, tanks and other armoured vehicles to the Sinai peninsula in an escalation of its military offensive in the area.
The clashes near a police station in the town of al-Arish come a day after the Egyptian military launched an offensive against suspected Islamist militants in the region. The reinforcements follow the killing of 16 border guards by suspected Islamist militants on Sunday.
The military action followed the killing of 16 border guards on Sunday. The army has also begun sealing off tunnels into Gaza, according to Egypt's Mena news agency.
The Egyptian president sacked the country's intelligence chief and the province's governor on Wednesday. Earlier reports that fresh fighting had broken out in al-Arish have been denied by a source quoted by the agency.
Nile News TV said on Thursday that "clashes resumed between armed men and police forces in front of police station number two in al-Arish". According to Nile News TV, violent clashes had broken out between police and armed men outside a police station in the town.
There are no reports as yet of casualties. But a security source told Mena the shots had been fired into the air by a man driving an unlicensed car.
The violence began on Sunday, when militants carried out the deadliest and most brazen attack against Egyptian troops in the Sinai region for decades. Violence in the region began on Sunday, when militants carried out the deadliest and most brazen attack against Egyptian troops in the Sinai region for decades.
Further attacks on checkpoints in al-Arish on Wednesday left a number of people wounded. There were further attacks on checkpoints in al-Arish on Wednesday, which left a number of people wounded.
The military offensive was then launched hours later. Egypt launched its military offensive hours later, launching missile strikes from helicopters.
According to military officials, 20 people were killed in the village of Touma, while the Sheikh Zuwaid area to the west was also hit.According to military officials, 20 people were killed in the village of Touma, while the Sheikh Zuwaid area to the west was also hit.
The offensive continued on Thursday, according to state news agency Mena, with a focus on the al-Arish, Sheikh Zuwaid and Rafah areas.
It follows criticism of President Mohammed Mursi for not taking decisive action.
Egypt's military presence in Sinai is limited and requires Israeli approval under the terms of the 1979 peace treaty which returned Sinai to Egyptian control.Egypt's military presence in Sinai is limited and requires Israeli approval under the terms of the 1979 peace treaty which returned Sinai to Egyptian control.
Analysts say that the security situation in the area has deteriorated following the fall of Hosni Mubarak last year, and that Islamist extremists appear to have gained a foothold.Analysts say that the security situation in the area has deteriorated following the fall of Hosni Mubarak last year, and that Islamist extremists appear to have gained a foothold.
The Egyptian army has begun sealing off and destroying tunnels linking Egypt to the Gaza Strip, Mena says.
There are more than 1,200 illegal tunnels along the Egypt-Gaza border that are used for smuggling people and goods, Mena reports.There are more than 1,200 illegal tunnels along the Egypt-Gaza border that are used for smuggling people and goods, Mena reports.
The militants who launched Sunday's attacks are believed to have used them as an escape route.The militants who launched Sunday's attacks are believed to have used them as an escape route.
Are you in the Sinai peninsula? Have you witnessed the clashes? Tell us your story using the form below.Are you in the Sinai peninsula? Have you witnessed the clashes? Tell us your story using the form below.