This article is from the source 'guardian' and was first published or seen on . It last changed over 40 days ago and won't be checked again for changes.
You can find the current article at its original source at http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2012/feb/28/syria-un-talks-homs-bodies-found-live
The article has changed 20 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.
Version 1 | Version 2 |
---|---|
Syria: wounded journalist 'safe' in Lebanon - live updates | |
(40 minutes later) | |
10.33am: Video has emerged purporting to show opposition fighters firing at a government helicopter near Syria's second city of Aleppo. | |
The incident was filmed in in Anadan, north of the city. | |
Meanwhile, the International Centre for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas, based in Tel Hadya on the outskirts of Aleppo, has sent backups of "almost its entire collection of seeds" for safekeeping in Norway, the Associated Press reports. | |
The seeds, which include varieties of chickpeas and fava beans, will be stored in the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, "sometimes referred to as a doomsday vault [which] is designed to withstand global warming, earthquakes and even nuclear strikes," AP says. | |
The research centre in Syria has not suffered damage during the uprising but Cary Fowler, of the Global Crop Diversity Trust, which maintains the Norwegian vault, told AP: "I think the events unfolding in Syria obviously underline the importance of having safety duplication outside of a country." | |
10.29am: Despite objections from Iran and Russia, the UN Human Rights Council is due to begin a debate about Syria about now. | |
The 47-member body, which has no legal force, looks set to back a resolution condemning Syria's "continued widespread and systematic violations". Reuters reports: | |
Drafted by the Arab countries and Turkey, with strong support from the European Union and United States, the resolution condemns "the use of heavy artillery and tanks to attack residential areas ... that have led to the death of thousands of innocent civilians". | |
It also voices alarm at the humanitarian crisis in areas lacking food, medicine and fuel and calls for aid agencies to be allowed to deliver vital supplies to civilians in heavily-hit areas, especially Homs, Deraa and Zabadani. | |
"There will be a wide majority of states in favour. It will pass easily," an Arab diplomat told Reuters ... "We should expect Russia, Cuba and Ecuador to vote against it. On China, [it] is not clear," he added. | |
10.27am: Paul Conroy's father Les, has confirmed that his son is safe in Lebanon, according to AFP. | |
It is still only Reuters' opposition sources that claiming that Edith Bouvier is safely out too. | |
10.13am: The whereabouts of Le Figaro reporter Edith Bouvier remain unclear. Reuters quoted activists as saying that she like Paul Conroy had been smuggled out of Homs to Lebanon. But this has not been confirmed. Guardian sources said she is still in Homs. | |
The Times also reports that Bouvier is still stranded in the city. | |
10.02am: As reports emerge about the journalist smuggled out of Homs, Human Rights Watch continues to campaign for two British reporters detained by the Libyan authorities, along with three Libyans who were travelling with them. | |
The Saraya Swehli militia detained Nicholas Davies-Jones, 32, and Gareth Montgomery-Johnson, 37, on 21 February 21. The two journalists are freelances working mostly with the Iranian state-owned Press TV. | |
It is unclear why they were detained. According to the militia, they were driving late at night in Tripoli and taking photographs –which was deemed suspicious, Human Rights Watch says. There are also claims that they did not have proper immigration papers. | |
Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East and North Africa director at HRW said: | |
The longer armed groups make arrests and hold prisoners, now including foreign journalists, the harder it becomes to bring these groups under control. | |
The militias need to get out of the detention business, and the government should re-double its efforts to take control of all militia detention facilities and treat all unauthorised detention as a crime. | |
10.00am: Diplomats are questioning the Syrian government's claim of a 57% turnout in last Sunday's constitutional referendum. They suggest the actual turnout was around 5%, according to a report by GlobalPost. | |
The report – compiled with input from a journalist in Damascus who is not named for security reasons – also says multiple voting was easy, since voters only had to produce an ID card or student card, and their fingers were not inked after casting their ballots. | |
The report continues: | |
At one polling station in a state-run clinic in Damascus' Midan district, a neighbourhood of traditional Sunni Damascene families and a centre for protests in the capital, the transparent ballot box was still almost empty by late afternoon. | |
At others, the box was at least opaque and, for the first time in Syria, private voting booths were available, though many of those who did vote did so openly at the desk. | |
Of the roughly 40 ballots cast in Midan's polling centre, said one of the government employees running it, most had come from employees of the health facility itself. | |
"All public workers must vote, otherwise they could be penalised by the secret service," said Muhammad Faour of the Carnegie Middle East Centre in Beirut, describing the result of the referendum as a "foregone conclusion". | |
9.52am: The International Committee of the Red Cross could not confirm that the journalists Paul Conroy and Edith Bouvier had escaped from Homs, as Reuters is reporting. | 9.52am: The International Committee of the Red Cross could not confirm that the journalists Paul Conroy and Edith Bouvier had escaped from Homs, as Reuters is reporting. |
A spokesman said that if the journalist had been smuggled out, this was a separate operation from a failed ICRC rescue attempt last night. | A spokesman said that if the journalist had been smuggled out, this was a separate operation from a failed ICRC rescue attempt last night. |
The BBC reported that Bouvier refused to enter a Red Crescent vehicle last night. | The BBC reported that Bouvier refused to enter a Red Crescent vehicle last night. |
The ICRC spokesman said it would continue to try to rescue wounded people from Homs. | The ICRC spokesman said it would continue to try to rescue wounded people from Homs. |
9.42am: French journalist Edith Bouvier is also safe in Lebanon, according to Syrian opposition sources, Reuters reports. | 9.42am: French journalist Edith Bouvier is also safe in Lebanon, according to Syrian opposition sources, Reuters reports. |
Bouvier reportedly refused to leave Homs last night in a Red Crescent ambulance. | Bouvier reportedly refused to leave Homs last night in a Red Crescent ambulance. |
9.33am: Paul Conroy's wife Kate has not heard official confirmation that her husband is safe, according to the BBC. | 9.33am: Paul Conroy's wife Kate has not heard official confirmation that her husband is safe, according to the BBC. |
Conroy was last seen in a video appeal last Thursday. | Conroy was last seen in a video appeal last Thursday. |
At the time he said: | At the time he said: |
My name's Paul Conroy. I'm a photographer with the Sunday Times. Today's date is 23 February 2012 | My name's Paul Conroy. I'm a photographer with the Sunday Times. Today's date is 23 February 2012 |
I was wounded in a rocket attack yesterday. Three large wounds to my leg. My colleague Marie Colvin was also killed in this same attack. | I was wounded in a rocket attack yesterday. Three large wounds to my leg. My colleague Marie Colvin was also killed in this same attack. |
I am currently being looked after by the Free Syrian Army medical staff who are treating me with the best medical treatment available and it's important to add that I am here as a guest and not captured. | I am currently being looked after by the Free Syrian Army medical staff who are treating me with the best medical treatment available and it's important to add that I am here as a guest and not captured. |
Obviously any assistance that can be given by government agencies would be welcome and we'll work on the same premise on the ground. | Obviously any assistance that can be given by government agencies would be welcome and we'll work on the same premise on the ground. |
9.19am: Injured Sunday Times photographer Paul Conroy is reported to be "safe and sound" in Lebanon, according to Reuters. A diplomatic source told the agency that he was smuggled out of Homs. | 9.19am: Injured Sunday Times photographer Paul Conroy is reported to be "safe and sound" in Lebanon, according to Reuters. A diplomatic source told the agency that he was smuggled out of Homs. |
9.08am: Another video from Homs appears to show a tank under the control of Free Syria Army fighters. | 9.08am: Another video from Homs appears to show a tank under the control of Free Syria Army fighters. |
The clip was purportedly filmed on Monday and cannot be verified. | The clip was purportedly filmed on Monday and cannot be verified. |
Meanwhile the YouTube channel Syria Pioneer continues to document the army's bombardment of the Baba Amr area, now in its 25th day. | Meanwhile the YouTube channel Syria Pioneer continues to document the army's bombardment of the Baba Amr area, now in its 25th day. |
8.35am: (all times GMT) Welcome to Middle East Live where Syria remains the main focus. | 8.35am: (all times GMT) Welcome to Middle East Live where Syria remains the main focus. |
Here's a roundup of the latest developments: | Here's a roundup of the latest developments: |
Syria | Syria |
• Syrian president Bashar al-Assad sent units of an elite armoured division into Homs on Tuesday as rebel-held districts came under the heaviest bombardment of a three-week-old offensive, opposition sources told Reuters. They said tanks and troops of the Fourth Division, which is commanded by Assad's brother Maher moved overnight into main streets around the besieged southern area of Baba Amro. The tanks had "Fourth Division Monsters" painted on them, they said. | • Syrian president Bashar al-Assad sent units of an elite armoured division into Homs on Tuesday as rebel-held districts came under the heaviest bombardment of a three-week-old offensive, opposition sources told Reuters. They said tanks and troops of the Fourth Division, which is commanded by Assad's brother Maher moved overnight into main streets around the besieged southern area of Baba Amro. The tanks had "Fourth Division Monsters" painted on them, they said. |
• Activists video from Homs shows rebels in control of a tank, which appeared to be used to defend a church in the city. | • Activists video from Homs shows rebels in control of a tank, which appeared to be used to defend a church in the city. |
The footage was purportedly filmed on Sunday in the Christian area of Hamdiyeh, north-east of the centre. | The footage was purportedly filmed on Sunday in the Christian area of Hamdiyeh, north-east of the centre. |
• The bodies of dozens of men were found dumped on wasteland on the outskirts of Homs on Monday in what appeared to be one of the worst instances of mass killing since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began, the Washington Post reports. The Local Co-ordination Committees, an opposition group, said that the bodies of 64 men were taken to the National Hospital in Homs and that an unknown number of women and children who had been with them are missing. | • The bodies of dozens of men were found dumped on wasteland on the outskirts of Homs on Monday in what appeared to be one of the worst instances of mass killing since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began, the Washington Post reports. The Local Co-ordination Committees, an opposition group, said that the bodies of 64 men were taken to the National Hospital in Homs and that an unknown number of women and children who had been with them are missing. |
• The names of thousands of Syrian dissidents have appeared on an apparent Syrian government hit list obtained by the US news site Mother Jones. | • The names of thousands of Syrian dissidents have appeared on an apparent Syrian government hit list obtained by the US news site Mother Jones. |
A 718-page digital document obtained byMother Jones contains names, phone numbers, neighborhoods, and alleged activities of thousands of dissidents apparently targeted by the Syrian government. Three experts asked separately by Mother Jones to examine the document—essentially a massive spreadsheet, whose contents are in Arabic—say they believe that it is authentic. | A 718-page digital document obtained byMother Jones contains names, phone numbers, neighborhoods, and alleged activities of thousands of dissidents apparently targeted by the Syrian government. Three experts asked separately by Mother Jones to examine the document—essentially a massive spreadsheet, whose contents are in Arabic—say they believe that it is authentic. |
• The UN's human rights council is poised to discuss Syria at a special session today in Geneva. Russia said it would not object to holding meeting, but said any written resolution would not be useful to resolving the situation in Syria. | • The UN's human rights council is poised to discuss Syria at a special session today in Geneva. Russia said it would not object to holding meeting, but said any written resolution would not be useful to resolving the situation in Syria. |
• A referendum on a new constitution was approved by close to 90% of voters, the Syrian government claimed as international reaction to its ongoing crackdown intensified, with the European Union announcing fresh sanctions against key regime figures. Activist groups said 124 people had been killed the day after the ballot, which had been hailed as a showpiece of reform in the rigidly controlled state. | • A referendum on a new constitution was approved by close to 90% of voters, the Syrian government claimed as international reaction to its ongoing crackdown intensified, with the European Union announcing fresh sanctions against key regime figures. Activist groups said 124 people had been killed the day after the ballot, which had been hailed as a showpiece of reform in the rigidly controlled state. |
• Fresh attempts to evacuate wounded Western journalists to safety from the Syrian city of Homs have failed again after one of the reporters refused for a second time to get into a Red Crescent vehicle, the BBC reports. Edith Bouvier, a reporter with the French daily Le Figaro, apparently would not board the vehicles and other evacuees stayed behind in solidarity. | • Fresh attempts to evacuate wounded Western journalists to safety from the Syrian city of Homs have failed again after one of the reporters refused for a second time to get into a Red Crescent vehicle, the BBC reports. Edith Bouvier, a reporter with the French daily Le Figaro, apparently would not board the vehicles and other evacuees stayed behind in solidarity. |
• Qatar's prime minister, Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani, has urged the international community to provide arms to Syrians rebelling against the Assad regime. "I think we should do whatever is necessary to help them, including giving them weapons to defend themselves," the prime minister said during a visit to Norway. | • Qatar's prime minister, Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani, has urged the international community to provide arms to Syrians rebelling against the Assad regime. "I think we should do whatever is necessary to help them, including giving them weapons to defend themselves," the prime minister said during a visit to Norway. |
• New York Times columnist Roger Cohen backs calls for the international community to help arm the Free Syrian Army. | • New York Times columnist Roger Cohen backs calls for the international community to help arm the Free Syrian Army. |
I hear the outcry already: Arming Assad's opponents will only exacerbate the fears of Syria's minorities and unite them, ensure greater bloodshed, and undermine diplomatic efforts now being led by Kofi Annan, a gifted and astute peacemaker. It risks turning a proxy war into a proxy conflagration. | I hear the outcry already: Arming Assad's opponents will only exacerbate the fears of Syria's minorities and unite them, ensure greater bloodshed, and undermine diplomatic efforts now being led by Kofi Annan, a gifted and astute peacemaker. It risks turning a proxy war into a proxy conflagration. |
There is no policy for Syria at this stage that does not involve significant risk. But the only cease-fire I can see that will not amount to an ephemeral piece of paper is one based on a rough balance of forces. For that, the Free Syrian Army must be armed. | There is no policy for Syria at this stage that does not involve significant risk. But the only cease-fire I can see that will not amount to an ephemeral piece of paper is one based on a rough balance of forces. For that, the Free Syrian Army must be armed. |
In the end, this course will support, not undermine, Annan's diplomacy and perhaps open the way for the sort of transition outlined by the Arab League. In return, the divided Syrian opposition must provide a firm commitment to respect the rights of minorities. The treatment of minorities — like that of women — is one of the many pivotal tests of the Arab Spring. | In the end, this course will support, not undermine, Annan's diplomacy and perhaps open the way for the sort of transition outlined by the Arab League. In return, the divided Syrian opposition must provide a firm commitment to respect the rights of minorities. The treatment of minorities — like that of women — is one of the many pivotal tests of the Arab Spring. |
• Mohammed Zidan, a police defector from Idlib, has been speaking to the Independent's Kim Sengupta. "I feel very worried, guilty. But I have made my choice, I have joined the people." | • Mohammed Zidan, a police defector from Idlib, has been speaking to the Independent's Kim Sengupta. "I feel very worried, guilty. But I have made my choice, I have joined the people." |
Iran | Iran |
• Iran's crackdown on free speech and civil society has dramatically escalated in the run up to this week's parliamentary elections, according to a new report by Amnesty International. The report documented a wave of recent arrests targeting a range of groups, including lawyers, students, journalists, political activists and their relatives, religious and ethnic minorities, filmmakers, and people with international connections, particularly to media. | • Iran's crackdown on free speech and civil society has dramatically escalated in the run up to this week's parliamentary elections, according to a new report by Amnesty International. The report documented a wave of recent arrests targeting a range of groups, including lawyers, students, journalists, political activists and their relatives, religious and ethnic minorities, filmmakers, and people with international connections, particularly to media. |