This article is from the source 'guardian' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be
You can find the current article at its original source at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2025/apr/01/myanmar-earthquake-junta-accused-blocking-aid
The article has changed 4 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.
Version 2 | Version 3 |
---|---|
Myanmar junta accused of blocking aid for earthquake victims as airstrikes continue | Myanmar junta accused of blocking aid for earthquake victims as airstrikes continue |
(about 2 hours later) | |
Doctors helping with aftermath of disaster and UN special rapporteur say aid is disappearing or being blocked in some areas | Doctors helping with aftermath of disaster and UN special rapporteur say aid is disappearing or being blocked in some areas |
Myanmar’s military is facing criticism over continued airstrikes and claims it is blocking aid to earthquake survivors, as international agencies urged “unfettered access” to humanitarian aid in the conflict-riven nation. | Myanmar’s military is facing criticism over continued airstrikes and claims it is blocking aid to earthquake survivors, as international agencies urged “unfettered access” to humanitarian aid in the conflict-riven nation. |
The 7.7-magnitude earthquake that hit central Myanmar on Friday has caused widespread destruction, killing more than 2,700 people and leaving affected areas in dire need of basic necessities such as food and water. | The 7.7-magnitude earthquake that hit central Myanmar on Friday has caused widespread destruction, killing more than 2,700 people and leaving affected areas in dire need of basic necessities such as food and water. |
Two Australia-based doctors helping coordinate the emergency response at the epicentre in Mandalay and Sagaing have accused the junta of blocking emergency aid. | |
“Some of the supplies of aid, well most of it, was not given to the people who need it. In some areas in Mandalay the aid did not arrive. The aid was confiscated by the military junta,” said Dr Nang Win. | “Some of the supplies of aid, well most of it, was not given to the people who need it. In some areas in Mandalay the aid did not arrive. The aid was confiscated by the military junta,” said Dr Nang Win. |
Since the earthquake, Nang has been communicating with colleagues in Mandalay, where she says aid has been scarce and makeshift clinics are being set up in lieu of a proper emergency response system. | |
She said one medical colleague in the city had signed paperwork to receive $1,000 in aid but received only about $100 of it, claiming the skimmed supplies would probably end up in a disaster black market. “Then there is a market that happens and they have to go around and buy their own,” she said. | She said one medical colleague in the city had signed paperwork to receive $1,000 in aid but received only about $100 of it, claiming the skimmed supplies would probably end up in a disaster black market. “Then there is a market that happens and they have to go around and buy their own,” she said. |
Since Myanmar’s military seized power in a February 2021 coup, an armed resistance movement – comprising various groups that formed to oppose the junta, as well as older, ethnic armed groups – has been locked in a chaotic and deadly civil war with the junta. Over the past year the junta has been consistently losing ground, controlling less than 30% of the country’s territory, though it retains control of the biggest cities. | |
The military had been blocking aid and rescuers from areas where it does not have full control, said Dr Nang. “If a group of rescuers comes and say we want to enter, especially in Sagaing, they will not let you, they will say you need a permit and once you get a permit it is too late,” she said. | |
A spokesperson for the junta did not immediately respond to the claims. | A spokesperson for the junta did not immediately respond to the claims. |
Dr Tun Aung Shwe, a medical doctor and Australian representative of Myanmar’s exiled opposition National Unity Government (NUG), said the military was leveraging control of checkpoints to block medicine flowing to areas controlled by the NUG and ethnic resistance groups. | Dr Tun Aung Shwe, a medical doctor and Australian representative of Myanmar’s exiled opposition National Unity Government (NUG), said the military was leveraging control of checkpoints to block medicine flowing to areas controlled by the NUG and ethnic resistance groups. |
“Outside of the major cities, the military already checks and then tries to block the flow of aid,” he said, adding that local communities were forced to seek alternative routes. “They’re finding other ways. So it’s getting there, but it’s taking longer.” | “Outside of the major cities, the military already checks and then tries to block the flow of aid,” he said, adding that local communities were forced to seek alternative routes. “They’re finding other ways. So it’s getting there, but it’s taking longer.” |
Emergency aid had been being blocked to areas such as Sagaing as well as Mogwe, he said. | Emergency aid had been being blocked to areas such as Sagaing as well as Mogwe, he said. |
A member of a rescue team in Sagaing said they faced restrictions and blockades. “When we try to transport supplies from Mandalay, the military council doesn’t permit it. Even yesterday, when food supplies were being transported from Mandalay, they confiscated half of everything,” they said. The military inspects the rescue teams, they said, suspicious of weapons being brought into the areas under the guise of aid supplies. “They scrutinise even the helping teams thoroughly, prioritising only their [own] security. They don’t prioritise rescuing civilians. They also investigate food distribution teams, asking where they’re from and checking everything. If supplies are transported across the river from other cities, food supplies are confiscated and don’t reach their destination adequately,” the rescue worker said. | |
On Tuesday, a major rebel alliance declared a unilateral ceasefire to support the humanitarian response to the earthquake. The Three Brotherhood Alliance, which comprises the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army, the Ta’ang National Liberation Army and the Arakan Army, said it would not initiate offensive operations for one month to allow the rescue effort, and would engage in combat only in self-defence. The NUG previously announced that groups affiliated with it would observe a two-week ceasefire in earthquake-affected areas, with an exception for defensive actions. | |
The junta also faces criticism for conducting airstrikes on villages. The Karen National Union, one of Myanmar’s oldest ethnic armies, said in a statement the junta “continues to carry out airstrikes targeting civilian areas, even as the population suffers tremendously from the earthquake”. | The junta also faces criticism for conducting airstrikes on villages. The Karen National Union, one of Myanmar’s oldest ethnic armies, said in a statement the junta “continues to carry out airstrikes targeting civilian areas, even as the population suffers tremendously from the earthquake”. |
Tom Andrews, the UN’s special rapporteur on Myanmar, said confirming what was happening on the ground was challenging due to communication outages but that there were “consistent reports of aid being blocked” and that airstrikes were continuing. | Tom Andrews, the UN’s special rapporteur on Myanmar, said confirming what was happening on the ground was challenging due to communication outages but that there were “consistent reports of aid being blocked” and that airstrikes were continuing. |
“Instead of focusing every ounce of energy, attention and resources on saving lives the junta is taking lives. That’s the first thing. Secondly, yesterday there have been consistent reports of aid being blocked, of aid workers being denied access at checkpoints,” he said. | “Instead of focusing every ounce of energy, attention and resources on saving lives the junta is taking lives. That’s the first thing. Secondly, yesterday there have been consistent reports of aid being blocked, of aid workers being denied access at checkpoints,” he said. |
These reports were emerging from areas that were under opposition control or contested, he said, adding that the military should “stop killing people and focus on saving people”. | These reports were emerging from areas that were under opposition control or contested, he said, adding that the military should “stop killing people and focus on saving people”. |
On Monday night, airstrikes were reported in Singu township, Mandalay region, and Nawnghkio township, Shan state. Bryony Lau, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said: “Myanmar’s military junta still invokes fear, even in the wake of a horrific natural disaster that killed and injured thousands. The junta needs to break from its appalling past practice and ensure that humanitarian aid quickly reaches those whose lives are at risk in earthquake-affected areas.” | |
Scot Marciel, a retired US diplomat and ambassador to Myanmar from 2016 to 2020, said the military had a bad track record when it came to providing assistance to its citizens in need. | Scot Marciel, a retired US diplomat and ambassador to Myanmar from 2016 to 2020, said the military had a bad track record when it came to providing assistance to its citizens in need. |
“Myanmar has very poor infrastructure, and where the military government, where to the extent it controls things, [it] is not really going to lift much of a finger to help,” he said. “It’s a really bad place for it to happen.” | |
During the Covid pandemic, he said, the military heavily restricted aid, providing oxygen mostly only to its supporters. During cyclone Nargis in 2008, a disaster that claimed almost 140,000 lives, the military leaders initially rejected all international aid. | During the Covid pandemic, he said, the military heavily restricted aid, providing oxygen mostly only to its supporters. During cyclone Nargis in 2008, a disaster that claimed almost 140,000 lives, the military leaders initially rejected all international aid. |
“Their history shows that they basically are willing to stand by and let lots of suffering and even death happen, if not inflicting it themselves, rather than do anything that might risk their power position,” Marciel said. | “Their history shows that they basically are willing to stand by and let lots of suffering and even death happen, if not inflicting it themselves, rather than do anything that might risk their power position,” Marciel said. |
Aid agencies warned of an urgent need for clean water and food in affected areas, and said there is a lack of sanitation systems. | |
Kanni Wignaraja, the UN assistant secretary general and regional director for Asia and the Pacific at UNDP, said the magnitude of the devastation was unimaginable. | |
“If you look at basic infrastructure … we’re already seeing that more than 80% of Sagaing town’s infrastructure is either destroyed or unsafe,” Wignaraja said. | |
“A lot of these urban centres are going to have to be razed. | |
“[It is] really important that the UN disaster assessment and response teams that are ready in Bangkok are allowed in fast,” she said, adding that a total ceasefire was needed so that relief work could be conducted. | |
Myanmar’s junta chief, Min Aung Hlaing, said in a televised address that the death toll was expected to surpass 3,000, having reached 2,719 on Tuesday, with 441 missing. | |
In neighbouring Thailand, teams continued to search the site of a tower block that collapsed while under construction, trapping dozens of workers. The death toll in Thailand rose to 20. |