This article is from the source 'guardian' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be
You can find the current article at its original source at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/sep/30/israel-threatens-what-could-be-ground-offensive-against-hezbollah-in-lebanon
The article has changed 8 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.
Version 1 | Version 2 |
---|---|
Israel has begun ground attacks on Hezbollah inside Lebanon, says US | |
(about 1 hour later) | |
US state department said it was told Israeli forces were targeting infrastructure near the border | US state department said it was told Israeli forces were targeting infrastructure near the border |
Israeli forces appeared to have launched what sources called “limited ground operations” targeting Hezbollah inside southern Lebanon, US and other officials said late on Monday. | |
“This is what they have informed us that they are currently conducting, which are limited operations targeting Hezbollah infrastructure near the border,” a state department spokesperson, Matthew Miller, told journalists. | |
Israel’s military issued an urgent warning for residents in Beirut’s southern suburbs to evacuate, saying it planned fresh strikes on Hezbollah targets in the city. | |
Heavy shelling into Lebanon was taking place along the border in the area north of Kiryat Shimona, in an area where Israeli armour and infantry advanced into Lebanon during the 2006 war. | |
Reports of a cross-border operation followed earlier airstrikes in Lebanon – including on central Beirut for the first time in nearly 20 years – and came after Israel’s defence minister, Yoav Gallant, told community leaders that the “next phase of the war against Hezbollah will begin soon”. | |
Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s prime minister, meanwhile warned Iran it could strike anywhere in the region at will. “There is nowhere in the Middle East Israel cannot reach,” he said in a video addressed to the Iranian people. | |
Gallant had earlier told troops in northern Israel: “We will use all of our capabilities – including you.” The Israeli military later declared areas of Metula, Misgav Am and Kfar Giladi in northern Israel a closed military zone. | Gallant had earlier told troops in northern Israel: “We will use all of our capabilities – including you.” The Israeli military later declared areas of Metula, Misgav Am and Kfar Giladi in northern Israel a closed military zone. |
The US president, Joe Biden, said he was aware of Israel’s plans to launch an operation into Lebanon as he urged against such a move. “I’m more aware than you might know and I’m comfortable with them stopping,” he told reporters at the White House. “We should have a ceasefire now.” | The US president, Joe Biden, said he was aware of Israel’s plans to launch an operation into Lebanon as he urged against such a move. “I’m more aware than you might know and I’m comfortable with them stopping,” he told reporters at the White House. “We should have a ceasefire now.” |
According to reports from inside Lebanon, the towns of Marjayoun, Wazzani and Khiam – which sit in a series of interlocking valleys over looked by steep slopes – were being shelled on Monday night. | |
The area, with its scattered villages, and scrubby landscape hiding bunkers and combat tunnels, has long been a base for Hezbollah fighters and was heavily fought over during the last war between Israel and Hezbollah 18 years ago. | |
There were also reports from Lebanese journalists of a heavy presence of Israeli aircraft over southern Lebanon. | |
There were no reports of direct clashes between Israeli troops and Hezbollah militants, but earlier a western diplomat in Cairo whose country is directly involved in de-escalation efforts said an Israeli ground operation in Lebanon was “imminent”. | |
Hezbollah vowed on Monday to keep fighting even after its longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah and other senior officials had been killed by Israeli strikes. | |
The group’s acting leader, Naim Qassem, said in a televised statement that if Israel launched a ground offensive, Hezbollah was ready. He said the commanders killed in recent weeks had already been replaced. | |
Although there was no official comment from Israeli officials, Aryeh Deri, an Israeli minister who has been involved in wartime decision-making, tweeted the text of a Jewish prayer for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) mentioning Lebanon. | |
Residents have described hearing jets and helicopters flying continuously over Tel Aviv, another sign indicative of intensifying military operations. | |
However, according to a report by Axios, Israeli defence chiefs had apparently been persuaded by the US against launching a larger offensive in favour of clearing areas close to the border. | |
Meanwhile, the Lebanese army said it was “repositioning and regrouping forces” amid reports it had withdrawn three miles from the country’s southern border. | |
The threats from Netanyahu and Gallant came days after an airstrike south of Beirut killed Hassan Nasrallah, the veteran leader of Hezbollah, which is backed by Iran. | |
On Sunday, a major Israeli raid also hit ports in Yemen run by the Houthi militia group, which is also backed by Iran, fuelling fears of a slide towards a devastating regional conflict on multiple fronts. | On Sunday, a major Israeli raid also hit ports in Yemen run by the Houthi militia group, which is also backed by Iran, fuelling fears of a slide towards a devastating regional conflict on multiple fronts. |
Though many analysts caution that senior Israeli officials have repeatedly made threats and that there are no signs of a major mobilisation by the IDF, there is now acute international concern that a substantial Israeli force could cross the contested border into southern Lebanon and reach Hezbollah’s strongholds within days. | |
A US official told Reuters it had observed positioning of Israeli troops that suggests that a ground incursion into Lebanon could be imminent. | A US official told Reuters it had observed positioning of Israeli troops that suggests that a ground incursion into Lebanon could be imminent. |
Friday’s assassination of Nasrallah – the most powerful leader in Tehran’s “axis of resistance” against Israeli and US interests in the Middle East – was one of the heaviest blows in decades to Hezbollah and Iran. | |
But Netanyahu and senior military commanders in Israel appear committed to continuing what has become a region-wide effort to kill longstanding enemies. | |
Seven top military officials and about another dozen senior commanders have been killed in the continuing Israeli air offensive in Lebanon, which IDF officials say is aimed at stopping Hezbollah’s cross-border fire that is stopping about 60,000 Israelis from returning to homes that were evacuated last October. | |
Lebanon’s health ministry said on Sunday that more than 1,000 Lebanese have been killed and 6,000 wounded in the past two weeks, without saying how many were civilians. The government said a million people – a fifth of the population – have fled their homes. | Lebanon’s health ministry said on Sunday that more than 1,000 Lebanese have been killed and 6,000 wounded in the past two weeks, without saying how many were civilians. The government said a million people – a fifth of the population – have fled their homes. |
In a three-minute video clip in English, Netanyahu accused Iran of subjugating its citizens and directly threatened its leaders. “There is nowhere we will not go to protect our people and protect our country …. There is nowhere in the Middle East Israel cannot reach,” Netanyahu said. | |
Addressing the Iranian people, Netanyahu said that that Iran’s “tyrants” did not care about their future and that when Iran was free, everything would be different. | |
An airstrike early on Monday hit an apartment building in central Beirut – the first to hit in the heart of the Lebanese capital since the short war between Hezbollah and Israel in 2006 – and killed three members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a small, leftist Palestinian faction. Videos showed ambulances and a crowd gathered near the building on a busy, shop-lined thoroughfare in a mainly Sunni district. | An airstrike early on Monday hit an apartment building in central Beirut – the first to hit in the heart of the Lebanese capital since the short war between Hezbollah and Israel in 2006 – and killed three members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a small, leftist Palestinian faction. Videos showed ambulances and a crowd gathered near the building on a busy, shop-lined thoroughfare in a mainly Sunni district. |
Hamas said its leader in Lebanon was killed on Monday in an Israeli strike on the country’s south. Fatah Sharif Abu al-Amine, “a member of the movement’s leadership abroad” was killed in an airstrike on his home in the al-Bass camp in south Lebanon, a Hamas statement said. | |
The Beirut strike, carried out using a drone, according to a source quoted by Agence France-Presse, hit near the Kola intersection, a popular reference point in the city, where taxis and buses gather to pick up passengers. | The Beirut strike, carried out using a drone, according to a source quoted by Agence France-Presse, hit near the Kola intersection, a popular reference point in the city, where taxis and buses gather to pick up passengers. |
Israel had confined its strikes on Lebanon’s capital to its southern suburbs. The airstrike threw into doubt which areas of Beirut were still safe from Israel’s expanding aerial campaign. | Israel had confined its strikes on Lebanon’s capital to its southern suburbs. The airstrike threw into doubt which areas of Beirut were still safe from Israel’s expanding aerial campaign. |
Paris and Washington, joined by Arab, western and European countries, called last week for Israel and Hezbollah to agree an “immediate 21-day ceasefire” and to “give diplomacy a chance”. Israel dismissed the plan. | Paris and Washington, joined by Arab, western and European countries, called last week for Israel and Hezbollah to agree an “immediate 21-day ceasefire” and to “give diplomacy a chance”. Israel dismissed the plan. |
The French foreign minister, Jean-Noël Barrot, urged de-escalation during a visit to Lebanon on Monday. | The French foreign minister, Jean-Noël Barrot, urged de-escalation during a visit to Lebanon on Monday. |
“The proposal for a previous ceasefire in Lebanon is still on the table,” Barrot said from the French ambassador’s residence in Beirut on Monday afternoon, adding: “There are diplomatic solutions in Lebanon, despite the intensive Israeli strikes targeting the southern suburbs of Beirut.” | |
Qassem has vowed Hezbollah will fight on. In the first speech by a Hezbollah official since Nasrallah’s death, the acting leader said the group was prepared for an Israeli ground invasion and that it would continue to fire rockets as deep as 150km (90 miles) into Israeli territory. | |
“What we are doing is the bare minimum … We know that the battle may be long,” he said. “We will win, as we won in the liberation of 2006.” | |