This article is from the source 'guardian' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be
You can find the current article at its original source at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/sep/23/israel-lebanon-strikes-evacuation-hezbollah
The article has changed 14 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.
Version 6 | Version 7 |
---|---|
Israeli strikes leave 182 dead in heaviest daily toll in Lebanon since Gaza war began | Israeli strikes leave 182 dead in heaviest daily toll in Lebanon since Gaza war began |
(33 minutes later) | |
Israel says it has hit 300 targets in escalating conflict with Hezbollah, after thousands told to flee their homes | Israel says it has hit 300 targets in escalating conflict with Hezbollah, after thousands told to flee their homes |
Continuing Israeli airstrikes against Hezbollah targets in Lebanon have killed 182 people and injured 727, the country’s health ministry has said, making it the heaviest daily toll in nearly a year of cross-border clashes. | |
Children, women and paramedics were among the casualties in the strikes on southern towns and villages, the ministry said, as thousands of people fled north along the main road towards the capital, Beirut. | |
Israel said it had hit 300 targets in the most intense barrage against the militant group Hezbollah since the war in Gaza began in October last year. It said it was expanding the operation to include areas of the Bekaa valley, along Lebanon’s eastern border. | Israel said it had hit 300 targets in the most intense barrage against the militant group Hezbollah since the war in Gaza began in October last year. It said it was expanding the operation to include areas of the Bekaa valley, along Lebanon’s eastern border. |
In response, about 35 rockets were fired from Lebanon towards the Safed area of Israel, the Israel Defense Forces said, with some coming down in open areas close to the community of Ami’ad. | |
Earlier in the day, the IDF had warned Lebanese people in the capital, Beirut, and other areas via a phone call to evacuate their residences and distance themselves from any buildings holding Hezbollah weapons. | |
“The actions will continue until we achieve our goal to return the northern [Israel] residents safely to their homes,”the Israeli defence minister, Yoav Gallant, said in a video published by his office, setting the stage for a long conflict as Hezbollah has vowed to fight on until there is a ceasefire in Gaza. “These are days in which the Israeli public will have to show composure.” | |
Roads leading out of south Lebanon were jammed with traffic as people fled the relentless bombing. Areas that have served as safe zones for displaced people since last year are suddenly in the crosshairs of the Israeli military. | |
“The airstrikes have reached us, on the outskirts of [Tyre]. There was a strike just 100 metres behind the [displacement] centre, there were three of them,” said Bilal Kashmar, a coordinator in a displacement centre in the southern city of Tyre. He showed a video of a plume of smoke rising just across the street from the shelter that houses hundreds of families. | “The airstrikes have reached us, on the outskirts of [Tyre]. There was a strike just 100 metres behind the [displacement] centre, there were three of them,” said Bilal Kashmar, a coordinator in a displacement centre in the southern city of Tyre. He showed a video of a plume of smoke rising just across the street from the shelter that houses hundreds of families. |
“The displaced have stopped coming to us, those that want to flee are leaving the south entirely,” Kashmar said. | “The displaced have stopped coming to us, those that want to flee are leaving the south entirely,” Kashmar said. |
Tyre has hosted thousands of individuals displaced by fighting, as the city had largely been spared by airstrikes until now. Before Monday’s fighting, more than 110,000 people had been displaced from south Lebanon. | |
“The airstrikes aren’t stopping, airstrike on airstrike. People are scared,” said Hassan Dabouk, the head of Tyre’s union of municipalities. | |
Videos of collapsed buildings and of bombs falling from the sky and the resulting explosions shaking the hands of those filming circulated on social media as people tried to track the extent of Israel’s campaign. In one video, a driver films as smoke fills the air on the road ahead of them after a strike. “Stop, stop, stop!” one of the passengers yells as the video cuts. | |
“An important thing to note is that the roads are not safe,” Dabouk sasid. “There is bombing from where we are [in Tyre] all the way to Saida. One needs to think before they leave in this situation.” | |
People with family and friends leaving the south made public appeals for any empty apartments or rooms that could host their loved ones. Spontaneous initiatives to provide housing emerged, with individuals marshalling calls for available rooms, and hostels offering discounted rates for displaced people. | |
“We are collecting numbers right now from people that have connections in safe areas, in Druze and Christian areas,” said Faten Jebai, a journalist from south Lebanon. Jebai has urged those without a place to reach out to her, as she and other volunteers work to connect displaced people with those who will open up their homes or rent at low prices. | “We are collecting numbers right now from people that have connections in safe areas, in Druze and Christian areas,” said Faten Jebai, a journalist from south Lebanon. Jebai has urged those without a place to reach out to her, as she and other volunteers work to connect displaced people with those who will open up their homes or rent at low prices. |
“More than 80 members of my family are now leaving the south, so I am searching for them but also for my friends and friends of the family,” Jebai added. | “More than 80 members of my family are now leaving the south, so I am searching for them but also for my friends and friends of the family,” Jebai added. |
The UN voiced alarm at the escalating violence. “We are extremely concerned, deeply worried about the escalation in Lebanon,” Ravina Shamdasani, a spokesperson for the UN human rights office, told Agence France-Presse. “It appears that both the actions and the rhetoric of the parties to the conflict is taking the conflict to another level.” | The UN voiced alarm at the escalating violence. “We are extremely concerned, deeply worried about the escalation in Lebanon,” Ravina Shamdasani, a spokesperson for the UN human rights office, told Agence France-Presse. “It appears that both the actions and the rhetoric of the parties to the conflict is taking the conflict to another level.” |
Since the beginning of the war between Hamas and Israel, the Israeli military and Hezbollah have managed to avoid an all-out war, engaging instead in a limited conflict of attrition. | Since the beginning of the war between Hamas and Israel, the Israeli military and Hezbollah have managed to avoid an all-out war, engaging instead in a limited conflict of attrition. |
However, escalating strikes and counterstrikes have raised fears of an all-out conflict. Last week, walkie-talkies and pagers bought by Hezbollah for its members exploded, killing 42 people and wounding more than 3,000, and on Friday an Israeli strike on a Beirut suburb killed a top Hezbollah military commander and more than a dozen fighters, as well as dozens of civilians including children. | However, escalating strikes and counterstrikes have raised fears of an all-out conflict. Last week, walkie-talkies and pagers bought by Hezbollah for its members exploded, killing 42 people and wounding more than 3,000, and on Friday an Israeli strike on a Beirut suburb killed a top Hezbollah military commander and more than a dozen fighters, as well as dozens of civilians including children. |
On Sunday, Hezbollah launched about 150 rockets, missiles and drones into northern Israel in retaliation for Friday’s strike. | On Sunday, Hezbollah launched about 150 rockets, missiles and drones into northern Israel in retaliation for Friday’s strike. |
Hezbollah has vowed to continue its strikes in solidarity with the Palestinians and Hamas, a fellow Iran-backed militant group, while Israel says it is committed to returning calm to the border. | Hezbollah has vowed to continue its strikes in solidarity with the Palestinians and Hamas, a fellow Iran-backed militant group, while Israel says it is committed to returning calm to the border. |
Reuters and Associated Press contributed to this report | Reuters and Associated Press contributed to this report |