This article is from the source 'bbc' and was first published or seen on . The next check for changes will be

You can find the current article at its original source at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67809242

The article has changed 9 times. There is an RSS feed of changes available.

Version 1 Version 2
Israeli strikes on Gaza continue as UN calls for more aid Israel-Gaza: Israel says it has arrested hundreds of Hamas and Islamic Jihad members
(about 7 hours later)
A Palestinian mother mourns her child in Khan Younis on Friday Families have fled the Bureij refugee camp for Deir al-Balah - despite fresh accusations this area is unsafe
Israel's bombardment of the Gaza Strip continued late into the night on Friday, with reports of sustained air strikes and ground attacks. Israel says it has arrested 200 members of the Hamas and Islamic Jihad groups in the past week and taken them into its territory for questioning.
A strike on the Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza killed at least 18 people, according to Palestinian media. A statement said some of the suspects had been hiding among the civilian population and surrendered voluntarily.
People in another camp, Bureij, were ordered by Israel's army to move south as it continued its ground offensive. Israel says 700 Palestinian militants have been arrested since it launched its military operation and invasion of Gaza with the aim of eliminating Hamas.
In New York, the UN Security Council adopted a resolution urging more humanitarian aid for Gaza. Hamas says mostly women and children are being killed by the Israelis.
However the motion fell short of calling for an immediate ceasefire in the war. The BBC is unable to verify the claims.
Wafa, the official Palestinian news agency, said at least 18 people died and dozens were injured in an air strike on a house in Nuseirat, in central Gaza. Israel launched its retaliatory operation after Hamas fighters crossed from Gaza into southern Israel on 7 October, killing 1,200 people and taking about 240 hostages.
An air strike also destroyed a water treatment plant in Jabalia, northern Gaza, it added. At least 20,000 people have been killed and 50,000 injured in Gaza since then, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.
Residents of Bureij, which is close to Nuseirat, were ordered to "leave immediately for their own security" and move south towards the city of Deir al-Balah. Israel has kept up its bombing campaign in Gaza - ordering civilians to flee.
"Where should we go to?" Ziad, a medic and father of six, told Reuters news agency by phone. "There is no safe place." The UN said the latest order affected 150,000 people in the middle of the Strip.
Another displaced person, wheelchair user Walaa al-Medini, said she had been injured in a strike on her home in Gaza City. "People in Gaza are people," wrote Thomas White from UNWRA, the agency for Palestinian refugees. "They are not pieces on a checkerboard - many have already been displaced several times."
"This is not a life: no water, no food, nothing," she told AFP news agency. The latest evacuation order impacted people in the Bureij refugee camp, who were told to head towards Deir al-Balah city further south. A medic named Ziad told Reuters news agency he was left asking where to go, as there was "no safe place".
The Palestine Red Crescent Society said air strikes had been conducted near its Al-Amal Hospital in the southern city of Khan Younis. Palestinian news agency Wafa reported on Saturday that Bureij had been shelled. Additional strikes on the Jabalia and Nuseirat camps had left "dozens" dead, it said.
Doctors Without Borders said in a post on X, formerly Twitter, that Israel's "indiscriminate strikes" on Gaza had "turned the north of the Strip into a pile of rubble". An adviser to the Israeli prime minister has acknowledged "terrible suffering" in Gaza - but told the BBC this was because the territory's Hamas leadership "don't give a hoot" for the people there.
It added that in Al-Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, "the dead and wounded continue to arrive almost every day". The suffering "shouldn't have happened" but came about after a "declaration of war" by Hamas on 7 October, said Mark Regev.
The UN's World Food Programme says that about a quarter of all households in Gaza - roughly 500,000 people - are facing "catastrophic hunger conditions", with food and water running out. Saturday's joint statement by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and internal security service Shin Bet said the questioning of 200 fighters followed the arrests in Gaza of "hundreds of suspects involved in terrorist activities".
Israel began its offensive after Hamas fighters crossed from Gaza into Israel on 7 October, killing 1,200 people and taking about 240 hostages. The BBC is not able to independently verify all battlefield claims. However, it did verify video earlier this month showing the detention of dozens of Palestinian men in the north Gaza Strip.
At least 20,000 people have been killed and 50,000 injured in the Gaza Strip since then, according to the Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza.
Why are Israel and Hamas fighting in Gaza?Why are Israel and Hamas fighting in Gaza?
'I don't want to be a number': Gazans live in fear of dying'I don't want to be a number': Gazans live in fear of dying
Israel's military has expressed regret for the killing of civilians but has blamed Hamas for operating in densely populated areas or using civilians as human shields, which the group denies. Meanwhile, the president of the UN Security Council has said a resolution adopted on Friday represents a crucial step towards averting a humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza.
The UN Security Council adopted a resolution that aimed to introduce "extended humanitarian pauses and corridors" throughout Gaza. On Friday, the council adopted a resolution that aimed to introduce "extended humanitarian pauses and corridors" throughout Gaza.
The vote followed days of negotiations to avoid a veto by Israel's key ally the US. The vote followed days of negotiations to avoid a veto by Israel's key ally, the US.
US Ambassador to the UN Linda Thomas-Greenfield But the motion fell short of calling for an immediate ceasefire in the war.
The US and Russia abstained, while the 13 other members of the council - including the UK, which had previously abstained on a similar resolution - backed the text that now calls for creating conditions "for a sustainable cessation of hostilities". The US and Russia abstained on the vote, while the 13 other members of the council - including the UK, which had previously abstained on a similar resolution - backed the text, which called for creating conditions "for a sustainable cessation of hostilities".
The resolution demanded that parties "allow, facilitate and enable the immediate, safe and unhindered delivery of humanitarian assistance at scale directly to the Palestinian population throughout the Gaza Strip". The resolution also demanded that parties "allow, facilitate and enable the immediate, safe and unhindered delivery of humanitarian assistance at scale directly to the Palestinian population throughout the Gaza Strip".
The resolution calls for the appointment of a co-ordinator to oversee a UN mechanism that will be set up with the goal of speeding up the distribution of aid. Hamas criticised what it said was an "insufficient step" to meet the humanitarian needs of people in Gaza, and accused the US of working hard to "empty this resolution of its essence".
Reacting to the resolution, Hamas criticised what it said was an "insufficient step" to meet the humanitarian needs of people in Gaza, and accused the US of working hard to "empty this resolution of its essence". The resolution also called for "the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages". The Israeli military urged the international community and international organisations to enforce it.
The resolution calls for "the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages" - and the Israeli military spokesman Rear Adm Daniel Hagari urged the international community and international organisations to enforce it. UN Secretary General António Guterres said Israel's offensive was creating "massive obstacles" to the distribution of aid in Gaza.
UN Secretary General António Guterres said "the way Israel is conducting this offensive" was creating "massive obstacles" to the distribution of aid in Gaza. Watch: Stripped Palestinian men detained in Gaza earlier this month
Watch: Stripped Palestinian men detained in Gaza earlier this month
Related TopicsRelated Topics
Israel-Gaza warIsrael-Gaza war
IsraelIsrael
GazaGaza